Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Should You Explain The Diagnosis To Your Child?

I sometimes wonder whether I should give my children an official-sounding explanation of their diagnoses, or if we should treat their symptoms as simple personality differences. As far as we're concerned here at home, everyone is just being unique and relating in each one's own way. My older son is no different after his diagnosis than he was before his diagnosis, neither is the younger one.



It seems the diagnoses make the rest of the family a little more tolerant than we may have been if we thought they were simply "acting out," but one of my family's guiding principles is tolerance anyway, seasoned with understanding communication.

At any rate, while I continue to think about how explaining or not explaining would impact my family, here's an article from a clinician who has an affirmative position on the matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment