Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Soothing the Gut, pt 1

Parents of spectrum children will know that stomach problems are a common issue in our little ones. My older son experienced problems with his bowels soon after birth, and with the younger one, it started one day when he was 18 months old and still breastfeeding, and it didn't stop.



The older spectrum child was fairly easy. Early on, he started using flower essences - specifically the Bach line of essences - and he began to relax enough to have a more positive elimination experience.

With the younger child, it's been nutrition. Even though the relationship between gut issues and Autism isn't completely clear, I did notice an improvement in his behavior patterns when I started giving him one serving of probiotics per day - and the added benefit in my child has been an improvement in bowel function.

The next step is increased calcium and magnesium for smooth muscle function and peristalsis. I'm hoping there's an added benefit there as well - magnesium is a well-known mellowing agent.

When I find the right combination, I will certainly share it!



Resources:

What's Wrong With The Gut Of Children With Autism? 
Autism and Probiotics, New Info Parents Should Know
What's Next in Probiotics for Autism?

No comments:

Post a Comment