Saturday, October 4, 2014

Random Moments of Happiness

Today I took my son to see his new nutritionist for the first time. I had no idea how he would behave (his experience with autism can be filled with spontaneity and unexpected surprises). As is common with my child, he was curious, spirited, and self assured. As soon as he walked through the door, he was off to make contact with everyone in the office, explore his surroundings, and generally assert himself.



I sat in a corner with lots of distance between myself and the other parents waiting for their turn with the counselor. At times I didn't know whether I wanted to smile or hide as they all watched my son explore every corner of the office announcing himself with glee.

I fully expected someone to approach me and ask me to control my son. I had my response ready. "I can't control him," I would say, "because trying to contain him only enrages him."

No one approached him.

When he finally saw the counselor, I mentioned his occasional digestive issues and told her about how I understand digestive issues are common with his condition. She asked me to name his condition, and I stated simply that he is autistic.

"Oh," she replied, "I was thinking he might have been on the spectrum.You've got yourself a good little guy there. If he likes writing, let's give him some chalk."

She didn't blink an eye or treat him differently because of his autism. She didn't pity or behave inappropriately. She simply treated him like any other happy child.

I was pleasantly surprised. I'm so thankful for little moments of happiness like this.

Ashe

No comments:

Post a Comment